UL. BRZESKA 18/9
7,48” long / 1,75” wide
The trace of mezuzah
new mezuzah - bronze cast of the trace
The story hidden behind
Bronze mezuzah based on mezuzah trace found in Apartment 9.
The tenement was built by Menachem Rothlevi in 1914. There were apartments, shops and businesses, including a bakery, a sewing school for girls, a butcher’s shop, and a hairdresser. In the 1930’s all residents of the tenement were Jewish. When Menachem Rothlevi died, the building was purchased by Shlama and Fajga Szymanowicz, manufacturers of Christmas decorations. In 1940 the building was sold to Konstanty Waleruk. When World War II ended, a decree from Bolesław Beirut (Polish Communist leader and a hard-line Stalinist who became President of Poland) denied his ownership and building was nationalized – resulting in years of neglect and the building falling into disrepair. 100 years later, it will get a new life. It is being restored to its original architectural grandeur by the Magmillon Company, and the former tenement will be teeming with life again.