UL. MOSTOWA 8
5,7” long / 1,37” wide
The trace of mezuzah
new mezuzah - bronze cast of the trace
The story hidden behind
The building was built between 1868 and 1873 as a tenement house. Probably it was designed by Jacek Matusiński. The owner of the building at 8 Mostowa was Abraham Lednitzer. From 1926 to 1934 only 4 Jewish residents lived in this tenement: Uebersfeld Estera, Gross Hallassa, Bloch Ruchla, Zweig Salomea. According to a list of prayer houses in pre-war Kraków in the backyard of 8 Mostowa Street was a prayer house of Chana and Abraham Lednitzer. The praying house was built in 1907 by the Lednitzer Family. During World War II, Nazi Germans devastated the building and it was no longer a prayer house. Today there is a workshop in this place. No one is allowed to enter the building.
In 1940 Jews were deported from Kraków to Kazimierz under the order of Nazi German occupation authorities. Among them there was the Steiner family, who moved to the appartment number 19 at 8 Mostowa Street. This marriage was: Chaskel Jakub and Scheindel Matel and their childrens: Fela, Bronisława, Szaja and Pinkus. The Cracow Ghetto was established in the Podgórze district on the March 3rd 1941. Fela and Szaja were transferred to an apartment Józefińska Street, where they registered on November 27th . Next, they were sent to Lubicz camp. Probably no one of them survived.