7,08” long / 1,77” wide
The trace of mezuzah
new mezuzah - bronze cast of the trace
The story hidden behind
In the tenement house at Rynek 4 lived Abram Strauch with his wife Estera and two children. He was an Orthodox Jew, and a board member of the Jewish Religious Community in Chmielnik. Abram ran his own business „Machinery, agricultural tools and cast production plant” Socially active and a respected citizen, Abram Strauch was most remembered as one of the founders of the fire station in Chmielnik that saw a festive opening in 1937. For years after opening it, he regularly paid contributions for its support.
On 3rd of May 2009 in Piotrkowice, a village located 10km away from Chmielnik, a ceremonial blessing of a new fire station took place. Father Szczepan Praśkiewicz from Lublin led the ceremony and recalled the 80-year history of the Voluntary Fire Fighting Services in the area. In his sermon he mentioned Abram Strauch: “The Voluntary Fire Services Station was created by first president – Jan Dąbrowski. 50 people joined the fire fighting team, including Jews. The contributions registry include such names as the goodnatured Jew Abram Sztrauch who in 1937 fruitfully supported the creation of the first fire station at ul. Tarnowskich in Chmielnik. (…)” Abram Strauch and his two children died in the Holocaust. The fate of his wife remains unknown.